So here is phase 2 of the kitchen re-do. A million thanks to Uncle Val for his amazing skills and helping us do something in a day that would take Jed and I years to do and would have been impossible.
Things done in this phase of the makeover:
move stove to other side of kitchen
put in a built in dishwasher($35 on craigslist)
(horay!no more wheeling it in the middle of the room anymore when I need to dishes)
New countertops including a cool slab of granite that I got last fall 75% off.
New faucet-(free at a garage sale last summer)
New sink-because it is deeper than the old one and works better with the faucet
Candle holder -$3 at a garage sale last summer I accidentally dropped it and broke a few candles
New coat of paint for the cabinets and trim-extra paint left in the basement when we bought the house
New coat of paint for the ceiling-purchased at Walmart...IMPORTANT NOTE: If you ever find yourself painting a ceiling. It IS worth it to pay the extra money for a good paint that goes on in one coat. I didn't do this and got the cheapie paint and ended up straining my neck after it took 3 coats to finish the job. I thought since it was a light color on a light color it would be easy...not so.
Paint on walls-$5 miss-mix from Fred Meyer
New shelf for the microwave and surround for the dishwasher-Uncle Val fabricated from misc boards in the basement
New outlets! I no longer have to only use a single outlet.
New curtains-because I seem to be obsessed with window treatments and just loved this fabric
It is amazing how much better the kitchen functions now. I am so glad. I hope these improvements will also help us out in a few years when we go to sell it.
Now all I need to do is find a few colorful accessories to add a "*pop of color."
*most overused term on HGTV
Pictures of the BEFORE anything was done.



4 comments:
It looks beautiful, Melissa. I like the curtains. You have an excellent sense of design. I'm glad you finally have a functional and lovely kitchen!
I love it, love it!! You can come do ours any time!! Maybe I'm just in a lime green mode, but lime green would be an awesome "splash of color" in there if you're still wanting one. I can't believe you guys did that in a day!! And the deals you got were amazing!
Your Uncle Val is really cool, Melissa. Your new kitchen looks great. Congratulations and love!
Granite- you are getting fancy there. I love it. Way to go!
Post a Comment