Sunday, March 27, 2011

on turning 30


Last year when I turned 29, I mourned my 30th birthday. It was depressing and I found myself listening to John Mayers "Stop this train" song a few to many times. So this year when my birthday came around I was okay with it. Yes, I'm getting older, but that doesn't have to be a bad thing. In fact, it can be a good thing.

Overall, my 20's have been great. Looking back, I have accomplished a lot of my life long goals in the past decade. Here are some of them in random order.


1. Getting married to a wonderful man-has made a big impact in my life. It has been fun growing together as spouses and parents. Heck, I'm married to a doctor, who doesn't want that?


2. School-I finished graduate school. PA school was like drinking out of a fire hydrant, but I did it. I also am proud of getting through undergrad on scholarships and not having student loans for that part.

3. Becoming a mom and having twins-you've seen the pictures, are there cuter twins out there? I think not. My kids have added a new dimension to my life that I didn't think possible until I had them. They have helped me grow so much as a person and bring a sparkle to my life daily.

4.Owning a home, Although selling is turning out to be tricky, I have loved having a space on this planet that is belongs to my family. I love my little old house and am going to miss it.


5. Traveling, I have been able to see some really neat places that just take your breath away and some that are just cool. A few of my favorite places to visit:

Hawaii-swimming with sea turtles, Mt. McKinley-amazing when your up close and personal with a mountain that demands your respect, Zions National Park-been a few times and still amazing, Grand Canyon-although I regret chickening out before I got to the bottom, you can't help but be in awe of your surroundings. San Deigo-just a neat place, wouldn't mind living there if there were not so many people. Arches National Park- Incredible what mother nature can do. Secret waterfall in Whittier- can't get there anymore but for a time in my life was one of the most serene places to go to. Washington D.C.-very interesing place to visit loved the history, Navoo-where I realized I would have been a really crumby pioneer. Banff- Amazing place, so beautiful!

Okay that's enough, this is turing into another travel log.


6. Getting a good job. Actually, I've had a few. I've always been lucky to find myself in jobs that I love and getting paid well do it. I love working part time and I don't anticipate working more than 2 days a week anytime soon.

So here's to the last 10 years, and here's to the next 10, which I hope will be even more amazing.(if that is possible)

To Do list for my 30's

Settle down in a place for a while

Travel to New Zealand

Pay off student loans

Take a photography class

So next time you have a birthday think of it as a celbration of all the things that you have accomplished and a celebration for all the good things that lie ahead. It worked for me.

2 comments:

the firths said...

Wow, you've accomplished a ton.

Lisa Weight said...

You've inspired me, Melissa. I'm going to write down my aspirations for the next 10 years, too. I know you'll accomplish yours and much more.