Wednesday, July 18, 2012

30 dollar living room makeover.

I realize that I am WAY over do with putting some DIY projects on the blog.


I have been wanting to switch things up around the house for a while but could not figure out exactly what I wanted to do.  Last week (Right before I was hit by strep throat) I decided to just go ahead and do it.  So I moved furniture from upstairs to downstairs and visa versa.  I pulled together my fabric stash and made a couple trips to JoAnns and in no time I was done.  It is more modern looking than the rest of the house but I don't care, I like it and plan on keeping it this way...at least for a while. 


Here are the BEFORE pictures:
Here's the after:


Elements of the makeover:
Curtains: $9 for fabric.  I have been wanting horizontal stripe curtains for a while and they were so easy to make.
Yellow Chair: The chair itself was free, it left at grandma's house (was really ugly before but I don't have a before picture) $7.50 yellow spray paint and fabric. 
Throw pillows: somewhere around $10 for fabric.  Note to self, next time order chevron fabric online instead of piecing it together.
Paintings: I already had the canvas $4 for a few acrylic paints, I copied the idea from some similar ones I saw on pinterest. They say "You are my sunshine" and "You make me happy when skies are gray"
Lantern: another of my grandma's items that I re-purposed.
Rug: IKEA rug that I moved in from another room.

So for around 30 bucks I am thrilled with how it turned out.

I am still working on getting the downstairs right now but I am hoping to have that ready soon and will try to put some photos up when I do.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE IT!
Aunt Lauri

Krystal said...

Wow! Looks great! I haven't been to your house since you went to Disneyland, can't wait to see it in person!

the firths said...

fantastic!!
It looks so modern. I love your DIY posts. More please.

Lisa Weight said...

So clever, Melissa! Thanks for posting this!

grandma jeannine said...

Wow!! Beatiful, but totally not surprising where your talent is involved! Love you! Grandma Crabtree