This week Jed's grandmother Jolene passed away and I have been reflecting about the influences of Grandmas in my life. Jolene was a sweet woman who left this world so suddenly that we are forced to reflect on how fragile life can be.
It has 2 years to the day since my grandma Marilyn passed away. Along with the passing of my Grandma Hazel I still feel like I have suffered an acute loss. There is a hole in the bleachers where my biggest cheerleaders used to sit.
My grandmothers were both powerful forces for good. They also happened to be longtime friends knowing each other long before my parents were married. They made a great team. Together they nourished my spiritual needs, made me feel loved and spoiled me with homemade cookies, cinnamon rolls and ice cream cones as all good grandmothers should do. Between the two they were in attendance for the majority of birthdays, Christmas', graduations and weddings for my family. When they weren't physically in attendance they let me know they loved me through frequent phone calls, cards, and some of the worlds best care packages.
Grandma Hazel thought me about kindness, unconditional love, true humility, forgiveness, Christ-like compassion and service. Grandma Marilyn taught me about generosity, capturing the fun in life, enjoying good food, going overboard with holiday decorating, and the importance of continuing to learn as you age.
Both women were excellent examples of being a friend. Grandma Hazel would show her love to her friends through acts of service. Grandma Marilyn would sit down and talk to you until she could find some common person that you both knew. She was genuinely interested in what you had to say and liked to learn more about people.
They were and are an integral part of my life and I feel like they have shaped me to be who I am and still influence me to try to become better. One day I hope to live up to the title of Grandma.
3 comments:
A beautiful tribute to your wonderful grandmothers, Melissa. They were vibrant women who radiated the light of Christ. Jolene's passing was a shock, but also a tender mercy. She was able to see all of her children and most of her grandchildren and great grandchildren in Yellowstone, just a week before she died. She was spared endless days and weeks of pain and when she was no longer able to speak, but before she slipped mercifully into a coma, she was able to squeeze Grandpa Ted's hand and let him know that she was ready to meet her mother and brother on the other side. She was a blessing in our lives and I hope I can live up to her legacy and the legacy of all the amazing grandmothers in our lives. Love to all! Grandma Lisa
We wouldn't be the same people without those wonderful women. Well said.
I loved your Grandma Marilyn and yes she was a talker and a great listener. I miss her and wish I could call her often. Your Grandma Hazel was a wonderful grandma that I was glad to have known her also.
Post a Comment