Wednesday, January 08, 2014

Fairbanks Parade of Homes: honorable/dishonorable mentions

We are moving!  We're excited to be moving into a warmer home next month.  We have been looking for a new home for a while...(about 2 and a half years) and finally found one to put an offer in on.

Finding homes in Fairbanks is tricky.  Real estate here is definitely unique.  People add on to homes using blue tarps consider  Tyvec a suitable outside cover for a home and an alternative window treatments.  Due to the short building season I think things just get built quickly.  Things get patched together and then no one bothers to fix them.  The good and bad part about this is that no one care or judges because of it.  (They have Tyvec siding too :)  

So for my birthday last year my Aunt Jessie and I made our own parade of homes...honorable/dishonorable mentions to showcase some of the trends and unique finds around town.

Disclaimer: Residents of Fairbanks:  I am sorry if your home shows up my blog. I took pictures as we drove along.  If you are not on the list and want to be...then better luck next year the competition is tough!













 Middle east meets modern art
This is an efficient way to do things...keep in mind these photos were taken in MARCH!



So with so much competition we finally settled on this little gem.  Its in the hills but still a quick drive to work.  Its built with double wall construction to help on those really cold Fairbanks nights. The house sits on 4.5 acres with enough room play and room inside for guests.  So all you who want to come visit...come on up...but I'd recommend the summer.

This is the MLS picture from inside...I think the dall sheep on the wall was a major factor in Jed wanting to buy this house.

2 comments:

Lisa Weight said...

Wow, your new home looks great! I can't wait to see it in person. Mostly though, I can't wait to see all of you in person! Looking forward to our Hawaii jaunt.
Love you!

the firths said...

Those are so funny! Any thing goes in Fairbanks. I'm glad there are people like you and Jessi there to add class. Good luck on your move!